More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Easy Logic Problems
Line of guniuese

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:49 am  by Akira970

This question is from my geometry class, it only involve logic not probability. please help me solve this! it only middle school so i don't think it would be TOO hard anyways here it is. reply as soon as possible please
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three geniuses stand in a file (one behind the other). Each can see only to the front, so the rear person can see the middle and the front, the middle person can see the front, and the genius in the front cannot see anyone.

You have five hats. Two are white, and three are red. You blindfold the three geniuses, who are utterly truthful, and put a hat--at random--on the head of each. Then you hide the other two hats and remove the blindfolds.

You then ask each genius to name the color of his hat (which he cannot see).

The rear one says "I don't know." The middle one says, "I don't know." Then the front one says, "I know."

WHAT COLOR HAT IS THE FRONT GENIUS WEARING?????? HOW DOES HE KNOW WITH 100% CERTAINTY WHAT COLOR HAT IT IS?????

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 pm  by toothslooth

The front genius is wearing a red hat. Here's how he knows...
The front 2 were NOT both wearing white or the back 1 would know he was red. So the front 2 must either be wearing both red or 1 red 1 white. If the front was wearing white the middle 1 MUST be wearing red. As he does not know, the front 1 MUST THEREFORE be wearing RED.

Enjoy!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm  by mdbbarilla

list the possibilities.

then cancel out.

man 1: red / white
man 2: red / white
man 3: red / white

if man 1 : red
then man 2 : red
man 3 will not be able to know his hat because there is more than one possibility
then man 2: white
man 3 will still not know
but if man 1: white
man 2 : white
man 3 will know that his hat is red.

if man 2 was red man3 will not know his hat

Reply to topic