More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Easy Logic Problems
What costs a dog?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:11 pm  by tartle

Achmed and Ali are camel-drivers and on one day they decided to quit their job. They wanted to become shepherds. So they went to the market and sold all their camels. The amount of money(dinars) they received for each camel is the same as the total of camels they owned. For that money they bought as many sheep as possible at 10 dinars a sheep. For the money that was left they bought a goat.
On their way home they got in a fight and decided to split up. When they divided the sheep there was one sheep left. So Ali said to Achmed "I take the last sheep and you can get the goat". "That's not fair" said Achmed, "a goat costs lesser than a sheep". "Ok", Ali said "then I will give you one of my dogs and then we are even". And Achmed agreed.

What costs a dog?

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 am  by aatifahmed

The dog costs 4 dinar.
The solution I am submitting below is encrypted so as not to take the fun out of your efforts! To decrypt use: www.rot-n.spam
The cipher used is ROT18-ROT5 & ROT13.

Abgr gung Nyv naq Npuzrq unq rdhny ahzore bs pnzryf (yrgf pnyy a). Urapr;
Gbgny ahzore bs pnzryf = 7a.
Gbgny zbarl gurl erprvir sbe pnzryf = 9a^7
Gur furrcf pbhyq abg or qvfgevohgrq rirayl nzbat gurz, urapr vgf na bqq ahzore (yrgf fnl 7z+6). Naq yrgf fnl gung pbfg bs bar tbng vf t naq bar qbt vf q.
Gurersber, 65*(7z+6)+p = 9a^7
Abgr p unf gb or rira nf gur EUF vf rira. Nyfb abgr gung p vf gur havg qvtvg bs YUF, jurernf gur EUF vf n fdhner, yrnivat p gb or bayl 9 be ; (fvapr 7 naq = pna arire or havg qvtvg bs n fdhner ahzore, naq 5 vf abg cbffvoyr).
Abj,
:z + (65+p)/9 = a^7
Guhf p unf gb qvivfvoyr ol 9, juvpu yrnir p gb or bayl ;.
Fvapr p vf ; naq gur qvfgevohgvba vf rdhny fb q unf gb or 9!!

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 pm  by alexonfyre

I don't think it ever said they have equal number of camels aatifahmed...though it works if they do...I am pretty sure it is still true if they aren't equal numbers, however.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:55 am  by ChibiHoshi

interestingly enough, if you look at a table of perfect squares, those with the tens place as an odd number (the only way there could be odd sheep) are always followed by a 6 (cost of a goat)
16,36,196,256,576,676,1156,1296,1936, etc.
So sheep-goat = dog
10-6 is 4

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:51 pm  by schizomidget

The question is easy, all you need to do is set up some equations. But yeah, what interested me was that all perfect squares with an odd tens digit ended with a six. I wondered why so, and started coming up with explanations and this is what I've got:

0^2=00
1^2=01
2^2=04
3^2=09
4^2=16 ~ Ends with 6
5^2=25
6^2=16 ~ Ends with 6
7^2=49
8^2=64
9^2=81

I realized that it's not so much of a deal, it's just that all basic perfect squares that had an odd tens digit also ended with a 6. It just happens to be that way. So I guess this explains why this applies to all other numbers that are similar, since all of them (such as 196, 256, and 576) are squares of numbers that have a ones digit of 4 or 6.

Reply to topic