More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Lateral Thinking - Fanciful
german spies

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 am  by x_kill_me_bby_x

hans and fritz are geman sies during world war 2. they try to enter america, posing as returning tourists. hans is immediatly arrested. Why:?:

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 am  by Callyst

fritz is a double agent

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 pm  by x_kill_me_bby_x

[quote="Callyst"]fritz is a double agent[/quote]

no!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 pm  by Callyst

hans was the first to exclaim "hail hitler" lol

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 am  by rj82330

First I thought that they might have walked on the wrong side of the road (based on various true stories of British spies caught out in Germany), but that doesn't work as both Germany and the US drive on the right.

However, what if..

Their customs forms required a numerical date of birth, eg 01/01/1910.

Both instinctively write in the European format - dd/mm/yyyy, forgetting that an American date reads mm/dd/yyyy.

So, why is only Hans arrested?

Fritz has the good fortune to be born on, say, the 5th of May, 1910. So, whichever format he writes in, he will always write 05/05/1910.
Hans is born on, say 20th of December (the month is immaterial, as long as he is born AFTER the 12th day in that month). He mistakingly writes 20/12/1910, instead of the American form 12/20/1910, betraying his non-American status.

(Of course, its equally possible that Fritz' surname is Smith, whilsts Hans' is Goebbels: this would also give him away).

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 pm  by Callyst

i would have liked it better if the question included some information such as "2 german spies posing as tourists arrive in america on hans' birthday, December 20" or something to make it not so far fetched because nothing clearly states hans' birthday wasn't also the 5th of may.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 pm  by x_kill_me_bby_x

[quote="rj82330"]First I thought that they might have walked on the wrong side of the road (based on various true stories of British spies caught out in Germany), but that doesn't work as both Germany and the US drive on the right.

However, what if..

Their customs forms required a numerical date of birth, eg 01/01/1910.

Both instinctively write in the European format - dd/mm/yyyy, forgetting that an American date reads mm/dd/yyyy.

So, why is only Hans arrested?

Fritz has the good fortune to be born on, say, the 5th of May, 1910. So, whichever format he writes in, he will always write 05/05/1910.
Hans is born on, say 20th of December (the month is immaterial, as long as he is born AFTER the 12th day in that month). He mistakingly writes 20/12/1910, instead of the American form 12/20/1910, betraying his non-American status.

(Of course, its equally possible that Fritz' surname is Smith, whilsts Hans' is Goebbels: this would also give him away).[/quote]

yea thats rite!!!

Reply to topic