More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Lateral Thinking - Semantics
Murder in a Mansion

Who do you think did it (no motive required for this poll)
Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:28 pm  by Hahaveryfunny:3

You have just been called to a murder at a mansion on 12th street, 9:00 AM, Sunday Morning. The owner of the house, Todd Brandy, was found murdered in his bedroom, a gun lay beside his head. At first investigators thought it was suicide, but there were no finger prints on the gun that matched his, or really any finger prints. You go to investigate the wife, who is currently sobbing in her lavish pajamas, a cup of tea in her shaking hand.
"Mam, i need to know were you were this morning." You ask her, breaking her out of her depression, and making her [b]VERY[/b] angry.
"YOU THINK I KILLED HIM!? HE WAS MY HUSBAND FOR 8 YEARS!! IF YOU REALLY MUST KNOW I WAS EATING BREAKFAST WITH THE GIRLS IN OUR LITTLE, PRIVATE CAFE, 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD!" She screamed at you. You do some investigating and find out she actually was down the road at the little bed and breakfast, but you cant rule her out yet. You continue on to the house workers, and you find the butlers alibi.
"Sir, i was polishing, and cleaning his golf equipment for his big golf tournament tomorrow." He told you calmly, his snotty accent kicking in. You nod, he doesn't seem effected by his death, but why would the butler kill the man who apparently pays him $1000 a week! But there could be an affair happening, so no ruling him out. Next you question the maid. She swirls her blond hair impatiently, chewing on a piece of bubble gum. She certainly is....pretty.
"If your wondering, yes i had an affair with Todd, but i was getting the mail this morning, i couldn't have killed him when i love him, and i was 800 feet away from the house!" She pointed her middle finger at a small object threw the mirror , which apparently was the mailbox. She has a motive...sorta...but she claims she was 800 feet away from the house. Suspicious....Next you walk into the kitchen to see a very distressed man, his golden brown hair plastered to his forehead from sweat.
"Sir may i have your alibi?" I asked him handing him a glass of water that was set on the table.
"Yea, sure," he said out of breath, gulping down the glass. "I was here this morning cooking for the golf tournament, there was a big feast afterward. I was here slaving my butt off when the maid comes running down here screaming that Mr.Brandy was dead!"
"I see, I think I know the killer. Thank you for your time sir." You say rushed, as you run to the nearest cop with hand cuffs. "I know who the killer is, and the motive. Please arrest...."

Who did it, and what was there motive?

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 pm  by Raghuraghavendra

Wife should have killed her hubby and went to cafe with her doctor since, recent finger prints in the gun is missing so , someone should have wiped it off.... without prints how that gun can lie on that table

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm  by riddlemaster

:roll: the maid did it - there is no mail on a sunday :roll:

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:43 pm  by sarveshsc

The ans is definitely the maid coz the day of the murder is a sunday and the post office is closed on that day,so the maid doesnt have a credible alibi.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:43 pm  by cat

Todd Brandy killed himself. There were no fingerprints on the gun because he wore gloves, but that doesn't matter, because the gun wasn't fired and he actually purposely overdosed on pills.

He was despondent because his lascivious wife actually went to a cafe two miles away wearing her lavish pajamas. Also, because his maid had dumped him for his snotty butler, who was secretly stealing his expensive golf clubs and replacing them with cheap imitations. Also, because his cook is very lazy and takes two days to make a meal, like his bubble gum-chewing maid who takes a day to saunter 800 feet to the mailbox.

Thank goodness he didn't live to learn that his cook was also a liar, claiming that the maid told him of the death when she was actually sauntering back from the mailbox (the girls laughed at her from their limousine on the way back from the cafe).

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:17 pm  by quark

It was the butler. He tried to kill him with the golf equipment, but Todd defended himself with the gun and in their fight, the gun fall on the bed. There were no fingerprints because Todd was wearing gloves. After the butler killed him, he saw in the mirror the maid coming back (from the mailbox) to the mansion, so he run to clean the golf equipment.
After the maid saw Mr Brandy dead, she ran to hers previous lover (the cook) to tell him the horrific event.

The cook was in distress because after he found out Mr Brandy is dead, he believed he is going to be a suspect - since police will find out he and the maid were lovers before maid's affair with Mr Brandy. He tried to calm himself with a glass of water but couldn't.

Butler's motives: He was having an affair with the wife, and killing Mr. Brandy will also bring him more money than 1000/week. Probably, this murder was plotted with the help of the wife. I believe this because the wife was wearing pajamas and their private coffee has "bed and breakfast" (as told) - so I guess she spend the night before at the private coffee (she couldn't leave the house in the morning in pajamas to meet with the girls). Hmm, somehow this seems to be premeditated.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 am  by zozee

Definitely. I doubt that anyone would be visiting a café in pajamas

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 pm  by alli

it was so the butler. He shot him, then polished the gun so that no one would know it was him.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:29 am  by nicejojo12

The butler did it, because the cook said there WAS a golf tournament. meaning that the butler's claim of there not being one until tomorrow was false, thus questioning what he was polishing. We now know that someone must have put the gun there, and it couldn't be Brandy, because the story said that Brandy wasn't the one who did it. The only other person that was free during that time, and coincidentally the same person that lied, and had an easy access to the janitorial supplies required to rid the gun of fingerprints was the butler. But now we ask ourselves what might his motive be by doing so, because he does get paid $1000 every week, it hardly seems logical. But one thing that he could've done is to have an affair with the wife. As told in the story, Brandy was a wealthy man. From that I can deduce that he has a will. Seeing as the wife or kids would be the only logical choice to give the money to, you realize that the butler could've been made much more rich this way. But what guarantee would the butler have had? For one, the butler would not have as much education to have seen the whole plan through. But also because the only other suspect is a maid that's a girl. And also if you read carefully you can come to conclude that either the butler is very good at serving tea, like all butlers are supposed to be. Or, they already had an affair. You know that the wife was at the cafe, but you have no assurance that the kids were. And from that, you can look more carefully at the wording and realize that she was at a BED and breakfast. Now why would someone drive 2 miles for breakfast in pajamas when they have a butler, maid, and chef at their MANSION? The answer would be, they wouldn't. Which means that the wife was there because she slept there, and why would she do that without the husband that she's been with for 8 years? Or why would she prefer to sleep at a LITTLE bed and breakfast, when she could sleep in a mansion. The only logical answer would be that she was doing something she didn't want the husband or the kids find out. So it won't be WHY she went out, but WHO she went out with. The butler. Which is why he seemed so assured and calm when you were interviewing him, and not worried about losing $1000 every week.
And also, the wife didm;t do it, because she never would have overpowered a fairly athletic man, and also seemed to a point shocked that Brandy was dead. She knew it was going to happen, but did not expect the butler to go this far this fast. The maid didn't it, because the story said that she was impatient. This could mean that she didn't go check for the mail everyday and checks all the mail on sunday. Also, the only way she would gain a benefit on this would be through the butler, but that's ruled out because the butler is with the wife. And if the maid wanted to be with the butler, than she would have better achieved the goal by killing the wife. Meaning the butler is the only one who both had a good opportunity, and a good motive. So, the butler's the evil murdery guy.
Whew, that was hard to type.
:D another (and the first) mystery solved by me! :D

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:21 pm  by vengat

Definitely the Maid, since no mail on sunday. The motive is, he will win in the Golf tournament tomorrow, so one(or some) of the competetors gave her money to kill him.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:25 am  by kenshi2rija

It was the maid. There was no open post office while on a Sunday, which was the day the murder happened. She has no alibi.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 pm  by SonicSky

Well, it looks like the 4 of it killed Todd -_-.
Well, based on my experience, peoples that gets nervous usually pretend to be calm, but it will be TOO calm, or it can be also pretending to be depressed, but it will be OVERreacting. And also, nervous people will always get thirsty. So, the wife is overreacting, the butler is too calm, the maid is pretending to be calm, and the cook is getting a glass of water, which seems suspicious.

Seeing from its alibi, the alibis should be connected together, and should get logic. But, the alibis aren't connected and logical. From the wife's alibi, she said that she was going to the cafe that morning, but she was using pajama. From the maid's alibi, she said that she was taking the mail that morning, that SUNDAY morning. There supposed to be no mail on sundays, since the post office close at that day. From the cook's alibi, he sounds pretty upset with his job, from the words "slaving his butt". Also, if the maid is taking the mail, why would she ran down if the mailbox is in front of the lowest floor?

This is my opinion, and sorry if there's some mistakes in grammar or in logics, cuz im only 15 and im Indonesian, lol XD.

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Thu May 07, 2015 5:22 pm  by libbielou

it was defenitly the bulter

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:27 am  by Phantom_Blood

I think it was the MAID and the BUTLER......

Since the golf tournament was supposedly was TODAY, the Butler has no alibi... And of course there is no mail on sunday, so the Maid lose her alibi too...

Since the Maid and the owner of the house has an affair, its easy for the maid to seduce and kill the owner while the butler clear the crime scene and make sure to wipe away all the possible evidence of the murder case.....

Wife
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Butler
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Maid
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:58 am  by The_Detective

All of you who didn't vote for the maid are ridiculously stupid. Listen to my reasoning - from the maid, we learned that she was 800 feet from the house when the murder happened. Yet, she was the first to find that the man had been murdered. She did not explain this in her interview with the detective, and because the two facts clearly contradict, the maid is obviously the murderer.

Reply to topic