More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Very Difficult Logic Problems
Baffled Scotland Yard

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:22 pm  by TheeGrizMaster

[color=darkblue][/color][size=12][/size]
Supposedly a true story:
A 5'6" man was found hanged (suicide) in an empty cellar room in a huge mansion in England. He was a prominent man of good stature (lawyer I believe). It was found he was bi/sexual and couldn't handle the social pressure and mostly his devastated wife, so he decided to go out in style and baffle everyone. He did for many months. The situation was this: He was found hanging from a sprinkler system pipe in the middle of the room just 1' from the ceiling from a 4' piece of one stranded rope. The room (cellar) was 25' square (wall to wall, ceiling to floor). There were no windows, the room was totally bare, no furnishings whatsoever, no shelves, nothing. The walls and ceiling were smooth, the floor was smooth with the exception of the typical drain hole and it had only one entrance which was just a normal sized door and the door was locked from the inside with two dead bolts and a hinged padlock. It had only one light bulb in the center of the ceiling, light switch was outside the door. He was found about a month later decomposing. How did he do it?

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm  by rackner

Could he not simply have stood on a block of ice to hang himself? The ice would then have melted and gone through the drain hole.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:54 am  by Callyst

maybe he blocked up the drain with either ice or the rope, and then took the rope and tied himself to the pipe.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:15 am  by Callyst

i forgot to add and busted the pipe open

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 pm  by ArmyMP84

My initial thought was an Ice block with steps carved into it, but given that the rooms dimensions seem to be 25x25x25 ("25' square [wall to wall, ceiling to floor]"), and there is nothing but a standard doorway, it would be difficult to get a 20 foot tall ice block into the room.

I suppose he could have used an ice ladder that would fit through the door, but without the use of any powered vehicles to assist (again, standard door), he would have needed assistance moving it (a 20 foot ice ladder capable of supporting a mans weight would be pretty darn heavy!)

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:34 pm  by bathfilms

Dear ArmyMP84,

If he had brought in portable blocks of ice, he could have stacked them for this purpose.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:04 pm  by Misanthropas

He flooded the room with the sprinklers, floated up to the pipe, hang himself and just had to wait the water to drain to be hanged and suffocate slowly as the water lowered! If he wanted a faster death he would have lit the light bulb before entering and locking the door to electrocute himself as the water reached the electric current.

Reply to topic